Wednesday, September 28, 2005

Remote Forensics System

I was grabbing some tools from the Foundstone tonight, for a presentation I'm working on, when I ran across something called the "Remote Forensics System". That sounded very interesting, so I Googled it and found a PDF at the Foundstone site that describes the RFS.

I read through the document and found a lot of very good information. In fact, I was envious...to be a grad student again, and have the time to do this kind of work [heavy sigh]. At least part of the system runs on the JRE, and they've incorporated triggers in to the overall system, so that if something pops up on the IDS, for example, data will be automatically retrieved from systems. Cool!

I'll need to read through the document again to get some idea of how the data collected is actually analyzed. However, it does sound like a great idea! My hat's off to Chris Prosise, listed in the Acknowledgements as the advisor.

Imagine my surprise when I found the Forensic Server Project mentioned in section 5 of the document! Wow! Someone actually went by the site and took a look at what I'd done. Unfortunately, the bibliography

No comments: