Saturday, June 11, 2011

Updates, Links, Etc.

OSDFC
I'm slotted to speak at the Open Source Digital Forensics Conference (put on by Brian Carrier) in McLean, VA, on 14 June.  I'll be presenting on "Extending RegRipper", and I've posted to slides to the WinForensicAnalysis site.

You'll notice something a bit uncharacteristic (or me) about the presentation...I put a LOT of text in the slides.  I sorta figured I needed to do this, as when I've talked about this topic to others, I think I get a lot of head knodding and "okays" so that I'll just stop talking.  I wanted to have the text on the slides for folks to look at, so that when someone was noodling these ideas over (as opposed to deciding whether or not to stay for the rest of the presentation...), they can refer back to what's on the slides, and not have to go with, "...but you said...".

Fresh off of attending the SANS Forensic Summit, Cory Altheide will be providing training on 13 June, and speaking at OSDFC on 14 June.  Corey and I will also be available to sign your copy of DFwOST, if you'd like. 

RegRipper
Speaking of open source tools, Mark Morgan posted "Using RegRipper inside EnCase Enterprise"...jokes aside, I think that this is a great use of resources!  I mean, it wasn't part of the design of RegRipper, but hey, I think things worked out pretty well, and Mark (like others before him) found a way to get the most out of the tools he's using.  Great job!

VSCs
Stacey Edwards has a great post up over on the SANS Forensic blog that demonstrates how to extract file system metadata/MAC times from files in Volume Shadow Copies, using LogParser.  The cool thing about what she discussed is that it can all be scripted through batch files...that's right, you can have a batch file that will run through designated VSCs, mount each one, run the LogParser command against it, unmount the VSC, and move on to the next one.  Pretty cool stuff.  Think of all of the other stuff you could script into a batch file, too...like RegRipper/rip, etc. 

MetaData
Corey Harrell has another really good post over at the jIIr blog, regarding why certain document metadata could possibly look the way it does.  He's taken the time to do some testing, lay out and describe what he did, and then present it clearly.  That kind of sounds like what we all have to do in our jobs, right?  ;-)

EVTX
Andreas has updated his EVTX parser code to v1.0.8.  He's put considerable effort into figuring out the binary format for the Windows Event Logs ("new" as of Vista) and provided his open source code for parsing them.  I've also found LogParser to be very helpful with this.

NoVA Forensics Meetup
Keep 6 July on your calendar for our next meetup.  Tom Harper has graciously offered to present on setting up a dynamic malware analysis platform, so come on by, bring a friend, and join us!

No comments: